There is something about being in business for more than a decade. When I looked back this morning, I realized that it’s been quite a journey. I have learned much along the way. Here is the top 10 after 10 years:
1. Always have a vision. Without a vision, you go nowhere.
2. Know that there will be ups and downs. It’s never a steady climb. Be prepared mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially.
3. When you are not prepared, use it as a learning experience. Don’t beat yourself up about it.
4. Rely on others. You can’t do it all yourself.
5. Learn from the best. There is nothing new under the sun. The best we can hope for is to take a concept or several concepts, and tweak them, change them, combine them, and make them our own.
6. Everyone has a book in them. Get it out to the world! See my previous post on how to get your book out of your head and into the world.
7. Don’t ever worry about investing more in the business. If it’s going to make your business better, it’s probably worth it.
8. Always be thinking about how you can improve your client experience. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate. I developed an app called The Tao of Emotional Intelligence for all of those learners out there who are into apps and mobile learning. You have to keep up and innovate.
9. Fail often. Try new things. Push the envelope. Get yourself out there. Put it out to the world and revise as needed. I have failed many, many times.
10. Have fun and enjoy the journey. This is the most important thing. Life is simply too short.
When I started this company in 2002, I had no idea where it was going to lead me. Sometimes it was hard. But it has been so worth it!