I know. I know. It’s trite. It’s a silly song. But lately, this has been weighing on me. Everything in my life is telling me to have more fun, to be lighter, to not take things so seriously. And it’s like a weight has been lifted off of me.
One interesting thing about this saying. It was first coined by a spiritual leader, the Avatar Meher Baba. So this wasn’t just a bumper sticker. This was intended to be serious spiritual guidance. This is the cornerstone of a good life. This is fundamental to so many things. You are what you believe. What do you want to be?
I was eating at Waffle House this morning and was thinking about the burdens of owning your own business, the pressures, the dilemmas, worrying about the future.
And then I started noticing the folks working there. They had names like Scrappy and Yoyo and Pickles, and they were having a blast, joking with each other, laughing, telling stories, and playing games. Here are folks not being paid an awful lot for a very difficult job, and they are happy. It made me think long and hard about my difficulties, which are almost non-existent. I am so lucky and so blessed. So, from this moment forward, I vow to have more fun. To not worry and be happy as much as possible.
It’s not an easy thing to do, but it is a very worthwhile thing to do. There are five easy steps to this “don’t worry, be happy” attitude:
1. Wake up every morning focusing on your blessings, not on the problems of the day.
2. Email a partner three things you are grateful for every single day. Start a gratitude list.
3. Throughout your day ask, “What if . . . ?” What if you got that promotion? What if your health report was positive? What if your child came back to you like the prodigal son? What if you lived your dreams?
4. Adopt a “Yes, and . . . ” attitude. Get rid of the “yes, buts”. Always add something positive. What didn’t work before may just work now with the right attitude.
5. Go to bed each night counting blessings.
So give it a shot. You may be going through some rough stuff right now. You can’t control many of those things in your life, but you have 100% control over how you react to them. Good luck!